Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits
Ten facts about the Fraunhofer FDK AAC Codec Library for Android™
“Fraunhofer's FDK AAC code provides a complete, high-quality audio solution to Android users. Fraunhofer does not only contribute codec code, but also the audio systems knowledge and profound experience as the primary AAC and MP3 inventor.”
- Fraunhofer IIS has been working on audio coding for more than 20 years and remains the worldwide respected authority in low-bitrate high quality audio coding. Now the Fraunhofer IIS software implementations of the open ISO MPEG audio codecs AAC, HE-AAC, HE-AACv2 and AAC-ELD are in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and the Android Open Source Project. This software is called “Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library for Android”. Android users benefit from the high audio quality of the Fraunhofer FDK.
- AAC and HE-AAC were already part of previous Android releases. The Fraunhofer FDK replaces the previous AAC and HE-AAC software, and adds AAC-ELD, HE-AAC multichannel, and HE-AACv2 for a complete, consistent, high quality, high performance codec package.
- The Fraunhofer FDK AAC Codec Library for Android is a low resource implementation of AAC encoders and decoders available for Android on ARM, MIPS, and x86 processors. The FDK library may be obtained from the Android 4.1 code tree, as explained at http://source.android.com.
- Fraunhofer will continue to offer the CDK commercial libraries, available for all major processors and operating systems, including iOS and Android under its standard commercial license. The Fraunhofer CDK software is also available for other MPEG audio standards, for example MPEG Surround and xHE-AAC.
- AAC is an open MPEG standard and many companies and organizations participated in the technical development and standardization process. A patent licensing program is administered by Via Licensing Corporation. There are currently more than five billion licensed devices. Please contact VIA on www.vialicensing.com for information whether your application is already covered by an existing license.
Andrew Fischer, Director, Licensing Programs, Via Licensing Corporation:
"Under the AAC Patent Licensing Program administered by Via Licensing, licenses from multiple patent holders to the essential patents needed to practice a variety of 'flavors' of AAC are granted under a single agreement. This includes AAC-LC, HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2 and AAC-ELD – a low-latency version of AAC. Once licensed under the AAC Patent License Agreement, no additional agreements or extra fees are necessary from Via for licensees to implement any of the above AAC technologies in any combination. This simple licensing scheme should encourage the industry to extend the proven audio quality of AAC into real-time communications applications.”
- The Fraunhofer FDK includes
a. the low delay audio codec AAC-ELD for communication applications,
b. and the multi-channel audio codecs AAC-LC, HE-AAC and HE-AACv2 for one way-streaming and broadcast applications.
- AAC-ELD is a Full-HD Voice codec, which can provide up to CD-like audio quality. It avoids many of the problems typically found in speech codecs used today for real-time communications applications such as audio and/or video chat and VoIP. These problems are caused by, for example, background noise, multiple talkers, children’s voices, ring-back tones, music on hold, and music in general. AAC-ELD enables new Android communication apps and services to transform everyday communications into an emotional, state-of-the-art rich-media experience.
- HE-AAC v2 and HE-AAC Multichannel for high-quality 5.1 surround sound and HE-AACv2 are the most efficient high-quality audio codecs and used in TV, radio and streaming services worldwide.
- AAC-LC is the high performance audio codec for excellent audio quality. First used by the Japanese digital broadcasting system ISDB and for music download and mobile music playback, today AAC is used in most state-of-the-art consumer electronics devices.
- For more information on the audio codecs of the Fraunhofer FDK, please also see our product overview (pdf).
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
The header image of this page is a modification based on work created and shared by the Android Open Source Project and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 2.5 Attribution License.