Established world-wide for TV broadcast and streaming applications
Over the last couple of years, HE-AAC has become one of the most important enabling technologies for state-of-the-art multimedia systems. Thanks to its unique combination of high quality audio, low bit rates and audio-specific metadata support, it is the perfect audio solution even over channels with limited capacity, such as those in broadcasting or for new adaptive streaming standards such as MPEG-DASH.
Fraunhofer IIS offers fast access to high quality, product ready HE-AAC implementations. Optimized encoder and decoder real-time implementations on embedded processors or DSPs are available, as well as software implementations on PC platforms.
HE-AACv2 is the mandatory stereo codec in the DASH264 Interoperability Guidelines developed by the DASH Industry Forum. HE-AAC 7.1 has also been selected as one of the optional multichannel codecs.
- ... the most efficient high-quality multichannel and stereo audio codec.
- ... is used in TV, radio, and streaming worldwide.
- ... the perfect codec for adaptive streaming, for example Apple HLS or MPEG DASH.
- ... in more than eight billion devices already today.
- ... fully compatible with all relevant broadcast metadata.
- ... is supported and maintained by Fraunhofer IIS.
|excellent, according to EBU test (for complete results see whitepaper below)|
|HE-AAC: 48 to 64 kbit/s Stereo, 160 kbit/s for 5.1 Surround (HE-AAC: AAC-LC + SBR)
HE-AAC v2: 24 to 32 kbit/s Stereo (HE-AACv2: AAC-LC + SBR +PS) for good quality audio
|24 to 96 kHz|
|mono, stereo, multichannel (e.g. 5.1, 7.1, ...)|
|DVB, ISDB , SBTVD, DAB+, DRM+, DRM, ATSC-M/H, ISDB-Tmm, DVB-H, DMB, 3GPP, XM Radio, mobile phones, audio and video streaming services|