The Audio Definition Model (ADM) according to ITU-R BS.2076 defines an open metadata format for production, exchange and archiving of Next Generation Audio (NGA) content in file-based workflows. Its comprehensive metadata syntax allows describing many types of audio content including channel-, object-, and scene-based representations for immersive and interactive audio experiences. A serial representation of the Audio Definition Model (S-ADM) is specified in ITU-R BS.2125 and defines a segmentation of the original ADM for use in linear workflows such as real-time production for broadcasting and streaming applications.
It is acknowledged by ADM experts that application-specific ADM profiles are needed to achieve interoperability in ADM-based content ecosystems. Those ADM profiles incorporate the specific requirements for production, distribution and emission. To ensure interoperability with existing NGA workflows, applications adopting the ADM format should be able to convert native metadata formats to ADM metadata and vice versa such that artistic intent is preserved in a transparent way.
The MPEG-H ADM Profile defines constraints on ITU-R BS.2076 and ITU-R BS.2125 that enable interoperability with established NGA content production and distribution systems for MPEG-H 3D Audio as defined in ISO/IEC 23008-3.
The freely available MPEG-H Info Tool is a software utility that provides support in creating profile-conform ADM metadata. Its conformance check framework runs input ADM metadata against an exhaustive set of checks derived from the MPEG-H ADM Profile, gathering detailed reports of any encountered conformance issues and providing information on how to resolve them.
Highlights of Version 1.0.0
- ADM profile based on ITU-R BS.2076-2 (https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.2076-2-201910-I/), ITU-R BS.2125-0 (https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.2125-0-201901-I), and ITU-R BS.2088-1 (https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.2088-1-201910-I/)
- Combination of channel-, object-, and scene-based audio representations
- Alternative audio mixes for improved accessibility and related use cases
- Personalization using gain and position interactivity
- Localization using multi-language labels
- Applicable in file-based and real-time production workflows
- Aligned to the Low Complexity and Baseline Profile of MPEG-H 3D Audio according to ISO/IEC 23008-3
- Freely available MPEG-H Info Tool for validation of ADM-based content against the MPEG-H ADM Profile