Personalized sound for TV programs
Finding the right balance between dialogue and ambient sound is a major challenge for sound engineers and an increasing cause of audience complaints.1 Fraunhofer IIS developed a backwards compatible technology that enables the audience to influence the audio balance to suit their personal preferences, their listening environment and their hearing abilities.
Dialogue Enhancement has been standardized within DVB as "Advanced Clean Audio Services" for the audio-video-coding toolbox.
- ...enables users to adjust the volume of individual audio elements within a broadcast program.
- Example: Adjust the audio volume levels of commentary or background ambience at live sport coverage
- Result: Increased speech intelligibility or deeper involvement in the atmosphere of a live event
- ...enables cost efficient hearing-impaired audio service.
- ...is backwards compatible with existing receiver infrastructures that play back the default mix.